Thursday 16 October 2014

Leap

I am afraid but I have purpose.
 Like hundreds of thousands around the world, on November 1, I am going to start the attempt to write 50,000 words of a novel.
It's a big deal for me, especially since I tend not to write a lot every day.
However, and this is what drives me; the winners get two copies of their book printed in paperback for free.
So, the deal is basically, if I complete the 50k mark for my book, then revise it, in a year I will be holding a copy of my book.

The only thing holding me back is the actual writing.
Fifty thousand words in and of itself is a daunting task. Any writer will tell you that it's a big chunk of writing. To try to do it within a month is even more daunting.

Yet, it gets done all the time.
thousands complete the challenge every year.
Many working writers regularly set 2,000 words a day as a reasonable daily goal.
Some even complete the NanO Century, which is 100,000 words in a month or 3,334 words a day.
Looking at that number makes 1,700 a day seem easy.

Like most things, it's attacking it day by day that will make it happen.
The thing is that we need to get up, get at it and see how it takes to get 1700 words out.
Given what I've read, at a steady pace, 1700 words takes about 2 and a halfr hours to write.
THe way I want to split it is one and a half hours in the morning and an hour at night.
Anything else is, as they say, gravy.
However, the hour and a half in the morning doesn't come cheap. Prime writing time is from five-thirty to seven, when the rest of the house wakes.
All we need to do is make it work.
And to make it work, we need to sacrifice everything past 9 that is unessential.
Cut away the fluff and reap the rewards of getting up early and getting writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment